- Application for re-registration of marriage for non-Muslims Malaysian whose marriage was registered under the laws of a foreign country.
- The re-registration does not apply to the non-citizen who was granted a Malaysian citizenship status after his or her marriage was registered under the laws of a foreign country.
- The couple are required to be present at the NRD counter or Malaysian Representative Offices abroad for the application and registration of marriage.
- A marriage registered under the laws of a foreign country must be re-registered at the Malaysian Representative Office within 6 months of the date of marriage. If the couple enter Malaysia before the expired 6 months of the date where the marriage was registered under the laws of a foreign country then the calculation of 6 months will commence on the latest arrival date in Malaysia dictated in the passport.
- Re-registration after 6 months will incur a PENALTY.
- Attention: Section 35, Act 164:
“Any person who, being required by section 31 to appear before a Registrar, omits to do so within the prescribed time shall, on conviction, be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to a fine not exceeding one thousand ringgit or to both.”
|1.||The application can be submitted at:|
|a. National Registration Department; or|
|b. Malaysian Representative Office abroad:|
|2.||Form JPN.KC06 that is completed|
|3.||ORIGINAL MyKad (Malaysian citizen)|
|4.||ORIGINAL passport and photocopy of page with personal details and latest arrival date in Malaysia for Malaysian and non-citizen, if applicable|
|5.||ORIGINAL passport and photocopy of page with personal details and date in the passport during which the marriage was registered in the pertinent country for Malaysian and non-citizen|
|6.||Identity Document used for marriage registration in the foreign country for non-citizen, if applicable|
|7.||One (1) color passport-sized photograph per applicant.|
|8.||Foreign marriage certificate (ORIGINAL and photocopy)|
|8.1||Foreign marriage certificate from India, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Nigeria, Sri Lanka or any other country if required, must be:|
|8.1.2||Certified by either the Malaysian representative in their home country. or the applicant’s consulate in Malaysia, and|
|8.1.3||re-certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Wisma Putra) in Putrajaya, Kuching or Kota Kinabalu|
|8.1.4||The marriage certificate from Vietnam must be re-certified by the Vietnam embassy in Malaysia.|
|9.||Birth Certificate for non-citizen (ORIGINAL and photocopy)|
|Decree nisi absolute (divorce certificate), if applicable (ORIGINAL and photocopy).|
|11.||Death certificate of previous spouse, if applicable (ORIGINAL and photocopy)|
|12.||A letter from the Myanmar government to confirm the validity of Myanmar’s marriage certificate.|
|13.||A Confirmation letter stated that the applicant is not a Muslim from the respective government (i.e. Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Algeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh or other Muslim countries or from any other country if required).|
|14.||Please note that all the documents must be original in Malay or English otherwise you must include an ORIGINAL Malay or English translation by a qualified translator.
The translation must include name, signature contact details of translator and date of translation.
For document translation completed in Malaysia by Malaysian Court Translator or Malaysian National Institutes of Translation are acceptable without certification by respective embassy in Malaysia and recertified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia.
RM20.00 for Marriage Certificate
Registration made more than 6 months after the date of registration of marriage outside Malaysia is penalised:
- RM100.00 for the first year.
- RM 50.00 for each subsequent year or part thereof.