Application For Status Of Citizen Under Article 16 Of The Federal Constitution – Persons Born In The Federation Before Independence Day, 31 August 1957

Print Friendly and PDF

This is application for registration as a Malaysian citizen by a person aged 18 years and above who was born in the federation before Independence Day.

1. The applicant shall appear before the Registrar of Citizenship when submitting the application.

2. The applicant must have been born in the federation (excluding Sabah and Sarawak) before Independence Day.

3. The applicant must be 18 years and above on the date of application.

4. The applicant has resided in the federation during the 7 years immediately preceding the date of the application, for a total period of at least 5 years.

5. The applicant intends to reside permanently in the federation.

6. The applicant is of good character.

7. The applicant has elementary knowledge of the Malay language.

8. Form A must be completed and submitted together with copies of the necessary documents.

The applicant is required to go to the counter of the Citizenship Division of the Putrajaya NRD headquarters, state NRD headquarters/branch, bringing along originals and copies of required documents.


1.1. Identity card
1.2 Birth Certificate or latest extract of Birth Certificate 
1.3. Passport or other travel document (if any) 
1.4. Marriage document (if any) 
1.5. Three (3) recent passport-sized photographs with a blue background


2.1. Identity card (if any) 
2.2. Birth Certificate or latest extract of Birth Certificate 
2.3. Citizenship Certificate (if any)


3.1. Identity card


4.1. Birth Certificate or latest extract of Birth Certificate (if any) 
4.2. Identity card (if any)

1. RM10.00 for application fee

2. RM100.00 to issue Citizenship Certificate (if approved)

Note: All copies of supporting documents should be made on A4 paper.

All applications for citizenship matters require the use of original forms. Forms may be obtained from the Putrajaya NRD headquarters or state NRD headquarters/ branches. Application forms for registration of birth in a foreign country and renunciation of citizenship may be obtained from consulates abroad.

Note: The online forms is to be used as reference only. For transactions, please use the original forms.

Form A -Citizenship Aplication under Articles 15(1) & 16 of the Federal Constitution

Font Resize